Fifty high school students will serve as the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation’s 10th class of Teen Leaders.
The program helps selected students learn about biomedical research, leadership, the fundamentals of nonprofit fundraising and development, board structure, networking, and using social media for good.
The goal is to equip these students to become agents of change within their Oklahoma communities.
“Being a Teen Leader the last two years has helped me grow into a better leader and person,” said Sourish Pasula, a senior at the Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics. “The program has helped me make meaningful connections with other high-schoolers across Oklahoma and helped me find a greater sense of purpose in my community.”
Group sessions began Sept. 13 and will continue through next April. While last year’s program was conducted primarily online due to Covid-19, a full return to in-person activities is expected this year. Students also will coordinate a special event in the spring to conclude the program.
“This program has provided first-hand community engagement experience to more than 300 students over its first decade,” Teen Leaders coordinator Caroline Allen said. “We’ve seen many participants go on to make a substantial impact in Oklahoma. We’re excited to see what the future holds for our newest class.”
OMRF’s 2022-23 Teen Leaders are:
- Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School: Avary Cronic, Rachel Tate, Margot Knudtson, Zitali Armenta, Isabella Kosters, Laura Wright
- Casady School: Ria Sachdev, Ava Sachdev, Robert Evans, Nonie Reding
- Choctaw High School: Emily Studdard, Nelson Shipman
- Classen High School of Advanced Studies at Northeast: Sofia Acuña, Parinita Varshney, Danny Ly, Jenna Chan, Malavika Shylesh
- Community Christian School: Kalli Greenwald, Emma McMahon, Makenzie Lehman, Destiny Brown, Ashlyn Williams
- Crossings Christian School: Gracie Maschmeier
- Deer Creek High School: Sudiksha Sugunan
- Dove Science Academy: Marcos Dominguez, Melia Rojas
- Edmond Memorial High School: Kyle Nguyen, Aleeza Azeem, Aryan Kapila, Saanvi Kurella
- Edmond North High School: Brenna Leeds
- Edmond Santa Fe High School: Amina Hassan
- Harding Charter Preparatory High School: Ciara Patterson
- Heritage Hall High School: Eli Dunham, Tatum Dunham
- Mercy School Institute: Akbar Ali, Diya Hafeez, Athina Momennia
- Millwood High School: Tierraney Smith
- Mount Saint Mary Catholic High School: Thomas Doan, Maria Roquemore
- Norman North High School: Jake Barnett
- Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics: Sourish Pasula, Abhijitkumar Jayasekar, Anoushka Sasikumar
- Pauls Valley High School: Aatma Patel
- Putnam City High School: Makele Lyons
- Putnam City North High School: Victoria Nwankwo
- Stillwater High School: Kaylee McWhorter
- Westmoore High School: Kaelyn Carpenter
Applications for the 2023-24 program will open in January. For more information or to sign up for application reminders, visit omrf.org/teen.