Applicants for the 2023-24 class will be notified of their application status on June 6.
OMRF Teen Leaders Program
OMRF will offer a premier teen leadership program to Oklahoma students who wish to gain a deeper understanding of supporting their community, develop hands-on leadership skills, learn about how OMRF operates, and how they can become advocates for research and improving human health.
About the Program
Each year, OMRF’s Teen Leaders program develops a group of teens in the community to be leaders and to expand the reach of OMRF to the next generation in the community. A diverse group of high school-aged students are chosen through an application and interview process to participate in a program consisting of nine sessions throughout the school year to achieve the following:
- Develop and sustain long-term relationships between participants and OMRF.
- Build participants’ skills to lead, volunteer and give through a hands-on project, with supervision and assistance from OMRF Development staff.
- Provide a deeper knowledge of the nonprofit sector, research centers, and how medical research works.
- Meet OMRF and community leaders that support our mission.
- Meet scientific leaders from OMRF to learn about their work.
- Develop relationships with other teens from different geographic areas and demographics.
- Completion certificate awarded at the program-closing celebration with family in attendance.
Session Dates and Location
- Generally the second Tuesday each month from September through April, 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- No meeting in December
- At OMRF or virtually if necessary due to OMRF’s Covid-19 precautions
- See complete 2023-24 program dates
- Students who will be in their sophomore, junior or senior year during the program year.
- No specific GPA is required. However, students must be in good standing.
- Must attend a high school in the State of Oklahoma
Cost: There is no cost to participants. OMRF Teen Leaders is funded by OMRF.
Transportation: All participants are responsible for their own transportation to OMRF Teen Leaders sessions and/or events.
- Applications must be completed online by May 15, 2023, at 5 p.m.
- Applications that are received by the deadline are reviewed by the OMRF Teen Leaders selection committee. Selection committee members evaluate many factors including, but not limited to applications and recommendation letters submitted. Then, finalists will be asked to schedule a brief, in-person interview at OMRF.
- After interviews, the OMRF Teen Leaders Selection Committee’s decision is final.
- Applicants are notified in June whether or not they have been selected for the program.
- Typically, no more than 3 students from the same high school may be admitted to the same class.
Commitment Form: The applicant, parent(s)/guardian(s), and student’s school principal, must review and sign the Commitment Form and submit it to OMRF via mail or email to the address below.
Please submit any printed materials to:
OMRF Teen Leaders
c/o OMRF Development Office
825 NE 13th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73104