OMRF Teen Leaders in Philanthropy: Philanthropy is in your DNA
OMRF will offer a premier teen leadership in philanthropy program to Oklahoma students who wish to gain a deeper understanding of the non-profit sector, develop hands-on leadership skills, learn about types of giving, and how they can implement these skills in the community.
About the Program
OMRF “Teen Leaders in Philanthropy” will develop a group of teens in the community to be philanthropic leaders and to expand the reach of OMRF to the next generation in the community.
A diverse group of high school-aged students will be chosen through an application and interview process to participate in a program consisting of nine sessions throughout the school year to achieve the following:
- Develop and sustain long-term relationships between participants and OMRF.
- Build participants’ skills to lead, volunteer and give through a hands-on project, with supervision and assistance from OMRF Development staff.
- Provide a deeper knowledge of the non-profit sector, grantmaking, and philanthropy.
- Meet leaders from non-profit organizations, board members, charitable foundations, corporate donors, and volunteers.
- Meet scientific leaders from OMRF to learn about their work.
- Develop relationships with other teens from different geographic areas and demographics.
- Completion certificate awarded at program-closing celebration with family in attendance.
Group size: Up to 40
Session Dates: Generally the second Tuesday each month from September – April (we will NOT meet in December), 12:30-5:00 pm or 5:30-8:00 pm at OMRF. (See Calendar below)
Eligibility – grade in school: Students who will be in their sophomore, junior or senior year during the program year.
Eligibility – GPA: No specific GPA required. However, students must be in good standing.
Eligibility – residency: Must attend a school in the State of Oklahoma
Cost: Free. OMRF Teen Leaders in Philanthropy is funded by OMRF.
Transportation: All participants are responsible for their own transportation to OMRF Teen Leaders in Philanthropy sessions and/or events.
The application window for the Teen Leaders in Philanthropy class of 2017-2018 is now closed.
Please check back in January 2018 for next year’s application. Thank you for your interest!
Requirements: Online Application, Commitment Form, and Recommendation Form
- Applications must be completed online by March 10, 2017 at 5pm.
- Applications that are received by the deadline are reviewed by the OMRF Teen Leaders in Philanthropy selection committee. Selection committee members evaluate many factors including, but not limited to applications, recommendation letters submitted and school diversity. Then, finalists will be asked to schedule a brief, in-person interview at OMRF.
- After interviews, the OMRF Teen Leaders in Philanthropy Selection Committee’s decision is final.
- Applicants are notified in April whether or not they have been selected for the program.
- No more than 3 students from the same school may be admitted to the same class.
Commitment Form: The applicant, parent(s)/guardian(s), and student’s school principal, must review and sign the Commitment Form and submit to OMRF via mail, or e-mail to the address below. Click here to download form: Commitment Form
Recommendation Form: A completed recommendation form MUST be completed and submitted to OMRF.
Please have an adult who knows you well but is not your parent or relative (for example: a teacher, youth group leader, club advisor, coach, employer, or neighbor), complete the Recommendation Form (click here to download) and return it to you in a sealed, signed envelope. The sealed recommendation form must be submitted to OMRF by the March 10, 2017 deadline. Or, the adult completing the recommendation form may submit the form directly via mail or e-mail to the address below by the deadline:
OMRF Teen Leaders in Philanthropy
c/o OMRF Development Office
825 N.E. 13th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73104