Applications for the 2021-2022 class are live January 1, 2021 to April 1, 2021.
OMRF Teen Leadership Board
OMRF will offer a premier teen leadership program to Oklahoma students who wish to gain a deeper understanding of supporting their community, develop hands-on leadership skills, learn about how OMRF operates, and how they can become advocates for research and improving human health.
About the Program
OMRF Teen Leaders will develop a group of teens in the community to be leaders and to expand the reach of OMRF to the next generation in the community.
A diverse group of high school-aged students will be chosen through an application and interview process to participate in a program consisting of nine sessions throughout the school year to achieve the following:
- Develop and sustain long-term relationships between participants and OMRF.
- Build participants’ skills to lead, volunteer and give through a hands-on project, with supervision and assistance from OMRF Development staff.
- Provide a deeper knowledge of the nonprofit sector, research centers, and how medical research works.
- Meet OMRF and community leaders that support our mission.
- Meet scientific leaders from OMRF to learn about their work.
- Develop relationships with other teens from different geographic areas and demographics.
- Completion certificate awarded at program-closing celebration with family in attendance (following the CDC recommendations for group gatherings)
Group size: Up to 50
Session Dates: Generally the second Tuesday each month from September – April (we will NOT meet in December), 1:30-4:30pm at OMRF. (See Calendar below)
Eligibility – grade in school: Students who will be in their sophomore, junior or senior year during the program year.
Eligibility – GPA: No specific GPA required. However, students must be in good standing.
Eligibility – residency: Must attend a school in the State of Oklahoma
Cost: Free. OMRF Teen Leaders is funded by OMRF.
Transportation: All participants are responsible for their own transportation to OMRF Teen Leaders in Philanthropy sessions and/or events.
Requirements: Online Application, Commitment Form, and Recommendation Form
- Applications must be completed online by April 1, 2021 at 5 p.m.
- Applications that are received by the deadline are reviewed by the OMRF Teen Leaders selection committee. Selection committee members evaluate many factors including, but not limited to applications and recommendation letters submitted. Then, finalists will be asked to schedule a brief, in-person interview at OMRF.
- After interviews, the OMRF Teen Leaders in Philanthropy Selection Committee’s decision is final.
- Applicants are notified in May whether or not they have been selected for the program.
- Typically, no more than 3 students from the same school may be admitted to the same class.
Commitment Form: The applicant, parent(s)/guardian(s), and student’s school principal, must review and sign the Commitment Form and submit to OMRF via mail, or e-mail to the address below.Click here to download form: Commitment Form
Recommendation Form: A completed recommendation form MUST be completed and submitted to OMRF.
Please have an adult who knows you well but is not your parent or relative (for example: a teacher, youth group leader, club advisor, coach, employer, or neighbor), complete the Recommendation Form (click here to download) and return it to you in a sealed, signed envelope. The sealed recommendation form must be submitted to OMRF by the April 1, 2021 deadline. Or, the adult completing the recommendation form may submit the form directly via mail or e-mail to the address below by the deadline: