To be eligible for the Fleming Scholar Program, applicants MUST be:
- An Oklahoma resident at the time of high school graduation.
- At least 16 years of age.
- Classified as a high school senior or college freshman, sophomore or junior at the time of application submission.
- A United States citizen or permanent resident or have unrestricted employment authorization in accordance with applicable Immigration and Naturalization Service regulations (example: J-2 – with Employment Authorization Document). Applicants with an H-4 visa are not eligible.
- Willing and able to commit to the program’s entire eight-week time frame, which begins the first Monday following Memorial Day.
Scholars are selected based on aptitude and interest in science and math, academic standing, essays and recommendation letters written as part of the application process.
Applicants must submit all of the following by the February 1 deadline:
- Application Form — Access and complete the Application via the online applicant tracking system.
- Transcripts — Attach your unofficial transcript(s) via the online application system when prompted to add “Transcript 1, 2 and/or 3”. College students must submit both high school and college transcripts.
- Essay — Attach your long essay response via the online application system when prompted to add “Essay”. Your essay should describe why you wish to participate in biomedical research for eight weeks at OMRF. We are especially interested in how well you formulate your ideas and express them. You might want to explain how an interest, experience, or project led to your better understanding of a scientific principle or how you displayed critical analysis and creativity in solving a problem. Please do NOT exceed two pages.
- Recommendation Letters — References must send a recommendation letter on their organization’s letterhead. Send a minimum of two and maximum of three recommendation letters directly to the Fleming Scholar Selection Committee, via e-mail FlemingScholars@omrf.org. or mail: OMRF Fleming Scholar Program, 825 NE 13th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73104.
- It is preferred that the entire application packet be submitted electronically however if not possible, items other than the application form may be submitted via any of the following avenues:
- Scan and e-mail: FlemingScholars@omrf.org
- Mail or deliver to: OMRF Fleming Scholar Program, 825 NE 13th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73104.
- Do not use staples for any mailed or delivered material.
- Extra materials, such as additional recommendation letters or resumes, will not be accepted.
- Incomplete application packets or materials received later than February 1 will be disqualified.
- The application process is considered complete once the applicant receives an electronic confirmation number and upon submission of at least two reference letters/forms.
- If you have any questions or trouble applying, please e-mail FlemingScholars@omrf.org or contact Heather Hebert (405-271-7435, 800-522-0211 or Heather-Hebert@OMRF.org).
All completed application packets must be submitted and/or postmarked by February 1 at 11:59pm.
Access the Application which is posted October 1 through January 31.
The Fleming Scholar Selection Committee will select up to 25 finalists to interview. Interviews will be early to mid March. Out-of-state applicants can interview via Skype or phone. All applicants will be notified of their standing by late February or early March.
The program runs for eight weeks from June 4th through July 27th. Since the program is so rigorous and intense, scholars must commit to the entire time frame.